Skip to main content

Alice… Upping the ante in fashion bizness


Alice
COMING from a home where her father is a fashion designer, Alice Ijoma grew up not only to continue from where her father stopped, but also to up it and make apparels that are appealing to the low and mighty.
   Recalling how she entered into the business of thread and needle fully in the year 2000, the design and creative head of Alice Couture says,” I have always loved doing fashion since my early days, when I was the secondary school. I like fashion because it enables me to dress people well, improve their personality apart from making them look beautiful. Besides, according to the saying, ‘you are addressed as you dress’ gives me the room to make dresses sit well on my clients.”
  On how she acquired her skills, Alice reveals, “I am self-taught, I did not attend any fashion school. In my early days while growing up, I was always with my father, observing him sew; so, growing up, I began to put into practice those things I saw do.
 “Though, daddy was very good at unisex, I have upped his ante by adding bridal gown and other stunning attires for women, “she says.
   With large clientele services that cut across different social groups, one would have expected Alice to own a big office where people could come for her wears, but the lady says, “I don’t have a showroom, I do my business online through social media — Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Vibe and Whatsapp. I do place my stocks and those interested in them will call me for them.”
   With this how would the ordinary people get to reach you?

   “I know not everyone may have access to the Internet, so, I look forward to opening a-one-stop-shop in Lagos, to make the man on the street to benefit from me. Besides, most of the clients I interact with on one-on-one are from referrals” she states.
  Commenting on the industry, Alice who says her late father, Ijoma Oji, head, Man Jonas Tailoring Company, Enugu State, is her role model notes that the Nigerian fashion industry is really up to its games, especially as young vibrant and creative people are coming into it.
   Stating some of the challenges facing upcoming designers, Alice says, “apart from the problem of fund to get things done, we face the challenge of clients not paying on time, thereby withholding fund to enable us place orders for materials and pay staff.
   “There is also the challenge of high tariff on imported materials and some times outright seizure of our consignment because we are unable to pay in good time,” she quips.

  Not regretting toeing her father’s footsteps, Alice advises those coming into the business to believe in themselves, acquired the right skills and be creative.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POTENTIAL ENGLAND WORLD CUP 2018 STARTING XI

Joe Hart – Goalkeeper Currently still only 27, Hart definitely has atleast another World Cup left in him, and as he’s currently on of the best keepers in the Premier League, he’ll almost certainly still be at the top in 4 years, as goalkeepers tend to peak a lot later than outfield players.

Cinema 4D: Tearing Cloth effect Using Cloth Tag and Field System

THE FIRE ON 23 ROAD – FESTAC, LAGOS

A fire outbreak occured on 23 Road in Festac on Saturday the 14th, February, 2015 which is the popular Valentine's day. Jouleconcept's correspondent, Mr Juwah Awele covered the story and gave a report in form of an article about the occurrence. This can be read below: “There is fire in house 2! There were children locked inside the house…” those were the words of my elderly neighbour, Mrs A, returning from the scene of some ongoing tragedy. Immediately, my mother went for all our official documents she always keeps in a ready to go bag while, my father, brother and I set off in the direction of the blaze. On getting to the front of the close, T Close, we observed the residents of the first few houses on the left hastily withdrawing their belongings from their homes; stuffing generators, plasma TVs, gas cylinders and the works into the back seat of their cars. Some had already driven their cars away! Immediately, we realised the fire was coming from the next cl